Nature fears not the cold, and keeps going throughout the seasons and so do we. ‘The Winter is Coming’ courses are running immediately after half term for 6 weeks starting Wednesday the 2nd of November till Saturday the 10th of December.
Every week for two hours during this course, children will carry out our everyday farming activities at that time of year in a safe, natural, learning environment. Some of the activities are listed below:
· Planting Trees, onions, garlic and flowers for the spring
· Farm walks to visit our winter crops, pigs and chicken
· Bed digging and covering with compost
· Compost making
· Harvesting winter crop, leeks, cauliflowers, cabbages, purple sprouting broccoli, and red/ white cabbage.
· Growing winter salads in the polytunnel
· Making home/ shelter for Farm School animals
· Making Christmas decorations from hedge plants
· Looking after our chickens flock (our cockerel Jack and 6 chickens), Amelie and Louis our ewe and lamb, make sure they are safe and have enough to eat and drink.
· Farm walks to explore wild life around the farm and in hedgerows, trees and different medicinal herbs/ weeds, and flowers.
Healthy snacks are provided during the sessions. Lunch /dinner will be organised once throughout the course.
Pre-schoolers should be accompanied by a parent/ guardian during the sessions.
Bookings can be done on our website, or by filling in this form and handing it at St Leonard’s school for St Leonard’s pupils, or at Shillingford Organics, payments are accepted online, in cash, and by check.
All bookings must be done before Sunday 30th of October.
For booking visit our Farm School page here: